Tough Reader, Good Advice

"Mike has a superb knowledge, love and understanding of film. He does his work with integrity and passion."

Kristin Overn
Executive Director
The PAGE International
Screenwriting Awards

"To be honest, the money I have spent on these reports ($50 for each one) has been some of the best money I have ever spent. "


Mina Zaher
Journey of a Screenwriter

"Michael Lee is the most knowledgable, thorough and professional screenplay analyst in the business!"

John Vincent
Executive Director
Hollywood Screenplay Contest





Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Villains

Came across this over at That Guy With The Glasses. This is Jesuotaku, one of their anime critics talking about great anime villains. It just reminded me of how important it is to write good antagonists or villains. In my book there is a difference between an antagonist and a villain. Antagonists are fully developed characters who just happen to have goals completely in conflict with the hero's. A villain is well a bad guy. And yeah it is hella fun to write a real bad guy sometimes.



I also want to make a special note about Light Yagami from "Deathnote." One of the secrets to that anime's success I think is its timeliness. Light really is a villain for the information age. He's an arrogant, intelligent, charismatic punk who thinks he knows how the world should operate despite still being in high school. He's like a blogger given ultimate power.

I kind of like lists. I find I work pretty well turning over a bunch of ideas in my head rather than just concentrating on just one. That's why I've got this list copied down and I'm looking at it to see if it inspires any ideas for my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended Reading and Tools

Script Reading Services Available

Basic - 5 to 7 pages of detailed analysis going over a script's concept, structure, characters, dialogue, plot and marketability

Page Notes - 10 pages or more of in depth analysis from the first page to the end.

Services

The StoryPros